Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy 45th Anniversary-Star Trek!

For those of us sci-fi geeks that like Star Trek, it's hard to believe that it's been 45 years since the series debuted on television for the first time. Being an artist, there are times when you just want to draw something because you like it. Lately, for me, I have been into drawing my favorite Trek characters. I don't know if it's just me, but Captain Kirk is one of the hardest guys for me to draw. Can I get a witness out there? I have seen many artist depictions of the Star Trek crew over the years, and some get the likness right, but more often than not, they don't. I have been playing around with the idea of a new Trek animated series. Since the original cast members have gotten so far on in age, and we no longer have DeForest Kelley, (McCoy), and James Doohan (Scotty), the only way to bring the series alive again is through animation. Filmation did a pretty good job back in the 70's, with Star Trek-The Animated Series, the art and design of the characters and environments were faithful, but they were plagued with the time restraints of churning out a new episode every week, and some of the animation suffered.  Below, I have posted some of my sketches and drafts I have been working on. Hope you like them!


I like the angle of this one, but Kirk's likness is a bit off.
This is an earlier one that I inked--the likness is there, but I wanted a different angle.

This is my favorite--it has enough likeness, and a good style for animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment